Saturday, June 7, 2014

Healthy oat, flax meal whole wheat chocolate muffins


I have to admit, eating healthy doesn't come naturally to me and moderation is not my second name either. I love going back for seconds, thirds and forths and I can't live without desserts. Now imagine if a big eater like me is asked to take it easy? Cut down on basically everything life threatening that I am generally very fond of.

But if you've followed the blog it would be a no-brainer to you that I have a HUGE thing for muffins (like this or this or this). Only this time I had to figure out a way to make them healthier without compromising on the taste.


So I took my favourite recipe and tweaked it, crossing fingers all the while that they turn out well. The muffins rose beautifully and tasted just like how I like them. Moist, chocolatey and definitely with lesser calories.


Can you believe these dapper beauties have no refined sugar, flour or butter? Nor can I. I had to take a second bite to believe oats and flax meal can be delicious too. I cut down on the chocolate chips and reserved some for sprinkling on top before baking. Now don't corner me for adding chocolate chips to healthy muffins because these will just melt in your mouth as you bite into them and you will forget about everything else.


So if muffins are your weakness and you're on a mission to make them nourishing, this recipe is your best bet!


Inspired from Pasty Affair 

Ingredients (makes 12 medium sized muffins)

62 gms of oats (I used Quacker oats)
62 gms of whole wheat flour (regular aata)
43 gms of unsweetened cocoa powder
64 gms of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of honey
34 gms of chocolate chips (extra for sprinkling)
60ml of extra virgin olive oil
235ml of milk
1 egg
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of vanilla essence

Method:

Mix all the dry ingredients along with the baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk all these ingredients to make sure it is lump free. Make a well in the center and add the egg, olive oil, milk and vanila essence. Stir in the chocolate chips and mix with a spatula till the batter is smooth.

Bake at 180 degree celsius for about 16-18 minutes till a knife/toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool completely before serving.





2 comments:

  1. Ciao Trishnanta and greetings from northern California! What great photos and recipes you have. The lighting is professional and captures the food perfectly. The muffins looks so delicious and yes its hard to believe that they dont have any refined sugar, flour or butter. And I also believe that there is always room for dessert. I try to prove that point at every meal!
    I also write a blog about food but with my reflections on life, family and relationships. Please visit. Maybe follow. That would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment Mario!

      Delete